Home » Topics » English riddles » Power Generation » Power Generation Riddle No.15 – Old excitation systems

Power Generation Riddle No.15 – Old excitation systems

• Creator
    Topic
    Grant

Can some please explain the old excitation systems not the static type I have come across some a 1930 generators that have dc exciter on them with brushes and slip ring connections to the main rotor, ….
      Can some please explain the old excitation systems not the static type I have come across some a 1930 generators that have dc exciter on them with brushes and slip ring connections to the main rotor, from what I can see there are two sets of coils in the exciter stator one set of coils are connected in series with the commutator though the brush set, one of the cables connected to the main rotor slip rings is connected to the coils and the other onto the other DC brush set connected onto the exciter going to the other slip ring on the main rotor. The other set of coils are connected to the field flash circuit which is also in parallel with this is the dc control (AVR) I presume that increasing and decreases the voltage on these coils they induce a flux that cuts into the commutator to excite the main rotor and make power. What are your thoughts.

Cheers Grant

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Hamid

Figure below shows one old and classic generator exciting system arrangement consisting of a main exciter with manual or automatic control of the field can be classified in a general way as

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.