Home » Topics » English riddles » General Subjects » Electrical question no.19 – RF or induction problems on computer equipment from nearby HV power lines

Electrical question no.19 – RF or induction problems on computer equipment from nearby HV power lines

• Creator
    Topic

I have been asked this question below by one of my customers and I was wondering if any one can offer any advice.

"There are 185 KV HV pylon lines next to the site and we would like to check that there are no RF or induction problems with data equipment, TS servers, etc?

Details: The distance to the building from the base of the transmission line is 65M, there is an external profiled sheet outer wall, an inner 3m high block wall and further steel frame construction inner shell, with a 90min fire protection. First server will be approximately 75m from pylon."

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Hamid

For induction problem you should be checked the grounding system. But about RF subject, i can say: Near the high voltage line the radio noise interference due to its corona and some else high voltage phenomenon is possible. The noise frequency band which shall be considered in this case is 0.5 to 30 MHZ. The frequency of 0.5 MHZ (or 1 MHZ) is considered because usually, the level of radio noise at this part of the spectrum is representative of the higher levels. Also because of the possibility of error due to the presence of standing waves (refer to dimension of noise receiver device), the following frequencies: 0.5, 1, 1.5, 3, 6, 10, 15,and 30 MHZ are important. But the frequency of data transferring in the computer system is near to 100 MHZ; therefore the possibility of interference between two systems is low. On the other hand, the distance of measurement to determine the lateral profile of the radio noise field is 20 m. As you see this distance is very lower than your mentioned distance (65 m). For accurate information you can refer to BS5049.

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.