Home » Topics » English riddles » Electrical Machine » Machine Riddle No.40 – No Load current of Induction motor

Machine Riddle No.40 – No Load current of Induction motor

• Creator
    Topic
    Manish Gautam

The no load current of the induction motor should be less than 30% of rated load current. Is this a standard?…
      The no load current of the induction motor should be less than 30% of rated load current. Is this a standard? I am confused with the different no load amps of different manufacturer. Could anyone please explain me more in detail? please send me any link of explanation if possible.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Hamid

I didn’t see any standard amount. For 50 (60) Hz motors, I0/In (no-load current/rated current) decreases with motor power from 0.5 to 0.8 (in sub kW power range) to 0.2 to 0.3 in the high power range, but it increases with the number of pole pairs. For low airgap flux densities, the no-load current tends to be smaller. A typical magnetization curve is shown in following picture for motors in the kW power range at 50 (60) Hz. The I0 and In are no load and full load stator phase currents and F1m0 is The no load (zero rotor current) design airgap flux density is Bg1 = 0.6

Manish Gautam

Dear Mr. Hamid Many thanks for the explanation. I would like to discuss one point to you We have one motor and its specification is given as below Make- HOYER MOTORS, kW- 11, Amps- 23, Volts- 400, RPM- 970, PF-0.78 This motor takes around 17 amps at no load. Is it acceptable value?

Hamid

Generally it is possible, of course I must to bring to your attention to this point which the pf=0.78 is rated power factor in full load current and in no load current, the power factor is smaller than it.

Manish Gautam

Thanks Mr. Hamid. Yes sir, the PF at no load will be small than full load, due to inductive circuit. Once again many thanks for this useful information regarding no load current of the motors.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.